19.10.12

cheat quilt

I made this quilt for Hesper before she was born. I did not (and still don't) know anything about 'proper' quilt making; I had lots of scraps of fabric and just had a stab at it. I think I cheated really since reading a little bit about quilt making and what an art it is. My method was to cut up lots of random patches of fabric, lay them out onto a big  sheet of fusible Vilene and iron them on, tucking the edges under. Once 'stuck down', I zig-zag stitched all the edges, added a layer of wadding and then a layer of backing fabric. 

It was meant originally as a mat I could throw on the floor for her to roll about on, but when we bought the cot bed, it was the perfect size. She uses it now as a snuggle blanket for cuddling up on the sofa with, not quite as vivid as pictured here. The cushions that I mentioned yesterday are covered with vintage tea-towels that I found in a charity shop, I also added an apple applique to the quilt purely by coincidence; but it all ties in together with her new doll that I made.

No comments:

Post a Comment