28.1.14

green chippy stool

I managed to get this stool finished just in time for the MLV fair on Saturday. It didn't sell, but this at least gives me the chance to photograph & blog about it! 


The pictures below show it in its original state - old yellowed pine with faded varnish and paint splatters on it. I found it in a charity shop,  hidden away at the back out of shame.
 First I applied a layer of Annie Sloan's "Florence" chalk paint - a rich emerald green also used here, once dry this was painted over with a layer of "Provence" - also here.


I did not have to prepare the stool at all - just wiped it with a dry cloth quickly to ged rid of any dust. 
Once the coat of Provence was dry, I applied a layer of clear wax. I then used different grades of sandpaper to distress the stool, revealing the "Florence" undercoat in parts and stripping right back to the wood in some places.  I also worked some dark wax into some areas and into the grooves on the legs. 

Clear wax was applied for a final durable coat and the whole piece was buffed with a clean cloth to bring out a smooth, shiny surface. It has just the right "chippy" paint effect - as if the paint has been added and worn away over the years. 





This stool is available to buy for £20. Please see my Facebook page, message, comment or email me for more info, thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment