restyled bureau

This has been an on-off project for the last few weeks; done in bursts due to a horrible ear infection, a disturbing reaction to antibiotics (that's a whole other post), H's birthday and half-term stuff. Anyway, it starts with this lovely bureau that I found in a charity shop. It was in very good condition, with nice detailing and clean insides. Actually a nice piece but a bit yellowy and some signs of wear and tear, but still solid.

As you can see from these images, it has been given a complete transformation. I painted the exterior in Annie Sloan's "Florence" and built up layers of dark and clear wax, with some distressing and lots of texture, as I did with this table.

We removed the interior shelves to paint the inside in Annie Sloan's "Emperor Silk", a vivid red colour. Once removed, we discovered these numerals that were otherwise hidden...1923 I presume.

I applied gold leaf to the carved molding on the top drawer, I wasn't sure if this would be overkill what with the vivid green and red already used. So I made sure it was distressed and any cracks filled in with dark wax so that it isn't a solid section of yellow-gold.

The handles were just lightly rubbed with wire wool for a bit of a clean

We treated the unpainted wood with teak oil and kept the red to a minimum. A gold tassel has been added to the key and the drawers lined with Cole & Son "Cow Parsley" wallpaper.

 I've just realised that I haven't included a photo of the finished piece with the door closed!...I will come back to that.* Anyway, this will be for sale at the next My Little Vintage fair on 8th March at Earls Barton Methodist Church, details here.

Or contact me if interested in buying, cost £150.
Thank you!


* This sold before I had the chance to add a new photo!, Quickest sale yet, thank you Ann!

No comments:

Post a Comment